Wednesday, August 1, 2012

12 months already...? No!!!!!

Hello Friends and family! 
 
How is everyone doing? Well this week was even worst then the last. I ended up getting sick again. It's getting freezing cold down here, and we still have no investigators. This last week we met with our bishop and he has come up with a plan for us. We are going to have activities 2-3 times a month. So I`m needing ideas... if you have any tell me! We are going to have these activities and have the members invite friends. We aren`t going to contact the friends or references until they come to a couple activities. Missionaries always make that mistake the have one activity and they jump all over the people and they get scared not wanting anything with the church. So after the 2nd or 3rd activity we are going to ask if we can pass by their house with the member friend or have the lessons in the members house. We have been visiting all the members and menos activos to share the plan with them. We will see how it goes. We are still in the process of organizing it. The bishops mom had a great idea. She is going to take a bunch of Liahona`s to the doctors, hospitals, and dentist offices with pass a long cards stapled to the front. We are in the process of finding Liahona`s. I really liked her idea.
 
Well we have basically decided to stop answering the phone calls from the hermanas that are in the other zone but the sector next to  us. Every time they call it is a crappy reference without a phone number or house number and a lot of the times without a street. We did although contact a reference we got from some missionaries in our district. The girl ended up living right in front of our church. We will teach her again this next tuesday. Her name is Camila and she is 20 years old. Pray that she and her friends and family will listen to us and change. We need investigators bad... and this family would be perfect, since they live right in front of the church.
 
Well, I went to the conference this last week and found out that everyone except me and an hermana had mail. For some reason my mail was left in the office. So I should know this Tuesday if I got anything.
 
Well my trainer was right when you hit the year mark your parents first have to remind you, then they go on to tell you about what they are planning the next year when you get home. Tell dad he needs to get a lot of gift cards to this mall he is building so I can buy some clothes when I get home. Tell Uncle Nick I`m so down for Vegas again. That was a blast. It would be nice to get all the cousins together after I get home. Tell dad we need to fix the boat and buy grandpa`s. (I`m not trunky don`t worry.)
 
This week I have had some really great personal studies. We finally got the conference Liahona and we have all been re-reading all the conference talks. I am working on a letter for cousins and Ethan. It should be good.
 
This week I have really been humbled. I have really realized how easy it is in the states. We have a member that the husband is really sick and is in bed all day. She doesn`t have much money and it is expensive for good doctors and hospitals. Their house is basically cement walls, concrete dumped on the ground with pieces of ceramic in it as flooring. The house is usually cold and is covered in mold. I was complaining about how crappy our house was and then we entered her house. She almost completely deaf, blind in one eye, and has a really hard time walking. I am really surprised at how happy and positive people are. It made me realize the Crack house isn`t much but we have A/C,heating, hot water that you don`t have to turn on a gas heater everytime you wanna use it, and it`s at least clean. It almost makes me cry how some of the people are living down here. The sicknesses they have and the houses they live in are so humble.
 
I found out this week that Hermana Yeny (clothes lady) is having a hard time with her son in the mission, money and her house. The bishop told us that she is one of the people that he is having to help with fast offerings. I feel really bad for her. I think my comp and I are going to sneak over to her house while she is gone and do some service she has wanted done but hasn`t had time or money.
 
This last week while we were doing contacts the Carabineros or the cops stopped us... We were doing contacts and I was getting ready to contact the house. Next thing we know the pacos pull up behind us, a girl gets out and says buenas tardes, next thing the guy gets out with his hand on his pistol. We turn around and she takes one look at the name tag, says sorry and gets back in the car. My comp and I were laughing pretty hard because the cops here don`t do anything but they randomly stop us...?
 
If you guys can find me a list offline or something or topics in the book of mormon it would be great. I need like a quick reference for my scriptures. I still dont feel like my scriptures in Spanish are mine. I`ve been so used to my English ones its hard to use the Spanish.
 
Also I don`t know if you guys can find me a smaller backpack that I can use just for scriptures. I need something a little smaller. Everything here is either expensive or crappy. If you could find me something like a camelback, Dakine or something smaller to put scriptures in it would be great. I think that is part of the problem of my shoulder pain. I need something skinny, and small.
 
We are still waiting for Eugenio to get home from his work. He should get back next week. He has been reading the BOM everyday and read the pamphlets we gave him the first couple of days. We are really excited for him and his daughter to get baptized. Pray everything goes well there.
 
Well Thank you all for the support. I`m still working on letters. Love you guys and miss you tons.
 
Con amor,
Elder Torgersen

No comments:

Post a Comment