Monday, March 26, 2012

Temblor!! WOO HOO

Hello Friends and Family!

Well this week was full of crazy happenings.I´m not sure where to start. I´ll start off small and work my way up. I´ve got a lot of time to write today so hopefully this will be a good one....

This last week I had had a mini cambio with the ZL´s and my DL. They couldn´t figure out what to do with my comp because he wasn´t talking to me and he was being stubborn, and he was really just being a jerk about everything. After a couple Cambio´s with the ZL and DL they decided we were going to have a group Consejo. We went to the other elders house and we all sat down and opened with a prayer. We basically threw it all out on the table. He basically had no reason to be acting the way he was and the other Elders kind of called him out on it. I basically threw out everything that he had been doing that bugged me. I learned you can´t keep things to yourself, you need to be open with your comp and say it how it is. It went really smooth though. It was really weird because you could tell we all had the Spirit and it was done out of love. We settled everything and we are better then when he got off the bus here in Linares. 

I just noticed I have callouses on the palms of my hands from riding bikes so much. There is a good chance I get transferred this next cambio so I´m wondering what I should do with my bike, Do I try and have a member sell it for like $40 or just give it to the mission...? 

It is amazing how many people are too ¨ocupado¨ for a message about God. Sometimes I get frustrated with people and how quick they are to reject a message about God. I honestly think the world is getting worse and worse. I´m so surprised at how many people don´t even believe there is a God.

Sunday we had an awesome lesson by the Elders quorum Pres. He taught us about the stand in holy places talk by Thomas S. Monson. We learned that the home should be a place of the spirit and a place where you feel safe. He quickly drew a map and drew a house and circled it and said this house is the most safe and blessed house out of all of these others. This house is the house of a member of the church. In this house is a family that is worthy to have the priesthood and is a house of the spirit. He said that the home can feel just like a temple or a church. The home is a place where we can be safe, feel the spirit, and feel loved. It made me realize that often, our house wasn´t like that. We really need to have  a house where these feelings can be felt. The whole family is united and not fighting. With the consejo we had with my comp, I also learned that there´s an easier way to settling things, with out punching or fighting (no matter how bad you wanna hit someone). You just need to sit down, pray, and settle things with the spirit.

Last week we went to a big river with Eduardo and Paola. We spent all morning at this huge river taking photos. Eduardo and Paola were the ones in the photo with me. It was a blast. We are really trying to get this family baptized but I swear they all have ADHD. We have trouble teaching them sometimes. This last week the older daughter broke up with her boyfriend and basically the whole family was suffering from it. Eduardo was happy and laughing the whole time because the boyfriend is a jerk and always swears and yells at the daughter. Paola had been crying because Nicol, the daughter, had been crying all day. And the little sister kept asking what was going on. We finally sat them down and taught them a lesson and told Nicol she needs to listen to her parents. I realized I should have looked to you guys more for some of the problems I had. You guys had been through the same kind of situations. After we finally calmed her down. Yesterday we got Eduardo and his family to church. Later after lunch we got a call from him saying we needed to come over ASAP because they had good news. We went over and they sat us down and they all sat down and said, ¨We really want to thank you guys for helping us and teaching us about the gospel, so we decided....¨ At this point I´m thinking... yes they want to be baptized. ¨we wanted to get you guys a couple gifts.¨ they then brought out a Tie and a couple other gifts. My comps suit was really old and had started to fade to a weird color. I guess they had noticed because they bought him a brand new suit with a tie and two shirts. I was pretty excited for him.

We had been teaching a family the past couple weeks but haven´t been able to get them to church because the husband is super catholic and didn´t let them go. We had tried a couple times to invite him to listen but he would go into his room and shut the door. One day we were teaching them and he walked in the door. We invited him and he said no and went to his room. During the lesson he left with his younger daughter and came back as we were saying the closing prayer. We started talking to him about soccer and sports. After we started teaching a little. He finally sat down and started listening. We asked if his wife could go to church. He finally agreed and she came to church on Sunday with her daughter. We have seen him in the street and he is super nice now. We told him we are going to have to go play soccer with him on a P-Day. We were supposed to have a family night with them but they couldn´t.

Last night we decided to visit a member who had problems with his knee and his health. He hadn´t been able to go to church for almost a month so we have been visiting him. When we first walked in I thought, ¨he hasn´t been to church in awhile, I wonder if we should give him the sacrament¨. Not even ten seconds after my comp turns to me and asks if we should give him the sacrament. It was really cool. I finally felt like we were on the same page. We probably should have gotten permission from the President of the ward but we decided to give him the sacrament. After about 5 minutes of getting bread, water, and a white cloth we were finally ready. My companion blessed the bread and after gave it to him. In between the bread and the water we swapped. All of a sudden, his wife starts screaming ¨TEMBLOR¨ we didn't feel anything until a couple seconds later. The ground started to shake and the glass on the shelf started to rattle. It went on for about a minute and a half. She had been in the city where the big earthquake had been 2 years ago so she was freaking out. I don´t know why but me and my comp were completely calm and just sat there. Right after we finished the sacrament and made sure she was alright. It was sheer panic down here. The roads were crowded with people and everyone was running and driving cars. I´ve never seen so many people freaking out. There had been a temblor of 7.2 in a city just north of us. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. The people were all over the place after though. It was really sad to see the panic and fear in peoples faces. Later in the night we had 3 different families bring us treats and make sure we weren´t scared or nervous. You could definitely tell this sector had girl missionaries in it before because we were getting visits every 10 minutes. 

Well we are doing great now. As a companionship are doing great and are excited to finish this cambio with some success. Love you guys and miss you tons!

Con amor,
Elder Torgersen 

No comments:

Post a Comment