Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hello Friends and Family!
 
Well this week has been the best week we have had here in Coihueco. We have a total of 12 people that accepted a baptismal date and 11 news. We also had the most lessons this week. 
 
Monday, we had a family night with a family of a returned missionary that has kind of fallen off the wagon for awhile. He has asked us to help him and his wife and his little daughter get to church and later to the temple. We are helping them prepare to go to the temple. There is only one couple here in Coihueco that is endowed. It is really sad. We are trying to get that number to two.
 
This last week we had a stake conference and our mission pres came. He and his wife spoke. We also heard from Elder Alliuad or something like that. He´s a member of the 70 from Argentina. He had a great talk and basically dropped the hammer on people that leave the church because someone ¨offends¨ them. He said that no one can offend us. We decide to let them offend us. He had a great talk.
 
After the conference I guess president talked to our Zone leaders about the zone. He told our ZL´s that he was really happy and content with the work we were getting done here. He said it´s the best numbers he´s seen in coihueco. My zone leader and I were talking and wondering why he put two of the crappiest elders in one of the smaller cities? Then it made sense... Worthless elders+branch that is dead=no damage done. The elder is now in his house and we are fixing what he ruined. I guess my Zone leader was in a sector the same missionary had been in and he said the attendance tanked! It is really sad how one dumb elder can do so much damage. But the good news is... President is happy with whats happening here.
 
I´m still feeling a little alone. Even though we are having success I´m finding it really hard to have fun and to be happy. My comp is really starting to bring me down. I don´t know what I did but this last week he just hasn't talked to me. I try to talk to him to find out whats going on and he´s just completely closed. We get home and plan and then he goes directly to bed. Today we had a Zone activity and we missed it because he wouldn´t get out of bed. The Zone, along with the other zone and some members bought a pig, killed it, cooked it and then ate it. While it was being cooked they played soccer. I have been stuck in the house for the last 3 weeks of P-day because he doesn't want to leave the house. He told me we were basically sinning because we were murdering the ¨innocent¨ pig. It was really weird. I was really excited to eat a pig and play soccer and he goes all little girl on me. I´m finding it extremely hard to find common ground with him and i´m getting sick of missing out on stuff because he doesn´t want to do it. 
 
Tuesday night we already had 5 lessons and 2 less active. We were on a ball. We were rolling in and out of lessons like crazy. We had 30 minutes left in the day and it was 9:30. We didn´t have anything else to do but contacts. We contact a few houses and then we contact a house that the house is set back kind of far from the fence. A guy walked out and asked what we wanted in a really snappy voice. We told him our names and said we were from the church. He then asked why we were out preaching at this hour of night and said that people are busy, as he is turning to walk inside. I don´t know what happened but before I could think it came out of my mouth. It could have been for the good and it could have been for the bad... ¨And what could you be possibly doing right now to be so busy? Watching TV?¨ He turns back around and walks to the gate. He then starts yelling at me ¨Blah blah blah No I´m with my family!¨ It came so quick to my mind I didn´t even have to think...¨Great, we love to teach families. We would love to come in and teach your family right now! We know out message is more important than anything you could be doing with your family!¨ He yelled some more, I said thanks, and walked away. He yelled something more as we were walking away but I couldn´t hear him. I was kind of stunned after all of that happened. I kind of feel bad for going off on the guy but I´m so sick of getting treated like crap just because we are missionaries. I realized that Christ would have probably handled it a little more calmly but then again, like dad said,Christ was humble and calm but he wasn´t a wuss with people and let them walk all over him. He corrected them in a firm but kind and loving way. I´m so sick of getting stepped on like a floor mat just because we are missionaries. People have no respect for us when they see the name tags. People don´t even say hi to us in the streets. I ¨forgot¨ my name tag one day while using a sweater and in the street and I kid you not about 15 people more than normal said Hello. I don´t understand it. We offer to help, we are nice, we say hello to everyone and they still treat us like garbage. Ok, I´m done with the complaining. 
 
I did get two more packages this last week. I got the back pack, sunflower seeds, socks and other stuff. Thanks for the confetti! It was everywhere. I opened one of the packages at a members house before lunch and the confetti went everywhere. Surprisingly she was really happy to see it. She said a handful of the confetti here cost about $5. I told her she could have it all. We emptied out everything into a bowl. She and her kids were really happy!
 
Only one problem... I asked for a smaller backpack. The other backpack is just as big maybe even bigger.
We got into a lesson the other day and taught some crazy old lady that is part of some Evangelical church. She told us that there never was an Apostasy and the church continued through the spirit. And that if we talk about the bible or of Christ we are prophets. So i guess me and my comp are prophets. This lady was completely nuts. Honestly... I don´t like teaching older people. Sounds kind of harsh but i´m sure most of them have had their chances to listen to us and the missionaries. Most of the older people here are completely lost or completely out of it. It is really sad but most of them have no idea what we are talking about when we teach them. My comps always get mad because we never try and ¨teach¨ them. You can usually tell in the contact if they are crazy or not. I usually give them a pass along and say thanks. The other day we had a lady kiss the picture of Christ we gave here like 5 times and try to tell us a story of her cat or something strange like that. 
 
Friday and Saturday we had 2 activities. Friday we played baby soccer in the basketball court behind the church and Saturday we had a movie night. We actually had quite a few people there. We had a less active lady yell and me and my comp because here kid didn´t get home on time... Don´t know why it was our fault the kid didn´t listen. He´s 12... He knows when he´s supposed to be home. This was the same lady that said she was going to help us on Sunday for the conference... What she said to us went in one ear and out the other. As you can probably tell I haven´t had the most patience this week. 
 
The other day we were talking to an investigator outside of her house and her neighbors came walking out and were sitting just inside their gate. Next thing I know I hear whistles and ¨Esta Bueno, Mira este russio Que Bonito¨ I look up and the mom and two daughters were out sitting there looking at me. Our Investigator tells them we can´t date, tells them to shut up and go inside. It was hilarious. They of course didn´t listen but I thought it was funny and really gross.
 
We have talked to the parents of Daniela, and they are really excited for the baptism. (it is so cool that we were the first elders to get into the house and talk to the parents and then get her with a baptism date) She is completely stoked. She already made invitations. It is weird to think that she is a year younger than Baileigh. She seems so much older than Baileigh. The kids down here grow up a lot quicker than they do in the states. It was really weird to think she´s a year younger than Baileigh. Pray for her and her family. The dad is really excited he wants to do a BBQ after her baptism and play soccer. Good thing its on a P-day, it might be a full party! 
 
Well I´ve got another cambio here with my comp. Hoping we will be able to find some common ground and have some success. Well not much else. I love you guys and miss you tons. 
 
Elder Torgersen

No comments:

Post a Comment