Monday, June 11, 2012

Great Week


Hello friends and family!
Well we have had quite an awesome week this week. We have had a lot of success.

Well this week we had to have an interview for Benjamin. Elder Baucom
came to our sector and My comp ended up going to his. We had an
awesome experience with Benjamin and his mom. His mom and I had to
leave the room while they did the interview. During the interview I
told his mom that this first year is going to be toughest for him as a
member. I told her that he is going to need some support from the
family. She said that it was his decision to be baptized and she and
his dad had a meeting with him saying that whatever he did they would
support him. She then went on to thank me and my comp for teaching
him. She told me before he had not been doing well in school, fighting
with his parents, and being messy. She told me when we started
teaching him, he completely changed. She had noticed a huge change and
was really impressed. She said I don´t know what you guys did or how
you did it but thank you. She said he is better behaved and reads and
prays every night before bed. It was really cool.

After his interview E´ Baucom told me that he had never interviewed a
joven that had been so prepared. He told me that he understood the
doctrine and the actual scriptures behind the restoration. He is
awesome. The bishop met with him on Sunday to receive the priesthood.
He is pretty excited. The only problem... He doesn´t have church pants
or a tie. I´m going to go to Lider or accuenta and buy a couple ties
for $2 and give them to him.

We went over to his house Saturday to fill out his registro and his
parents were asking cualquier pregunta about the church and his
baptism and basically everything. I honestly think we could baptize
the whole family. That has been one of my metas on my mission to
baptize a family. So pray that his family will open up and listen to
us and get baptized. One of the questions his dad asked was ¨whats the
difference between the Catholic church and the Mormons?¨ Benjamin
answered him perfectly saying ¨Dad, the Church of Jesus Christ is the
true church! That´s the difference!¨ I thought that was awesome!

Friday we had the baptism and I got to baptize him! MY SECOND PERSONAL
BAPTISM!! Benjamin was really excited. After the actual baptism he
ended up diving into the water and started to swim to the stairs. It
was quite funny.

Saturday we played baby soccer on the basketball court/baby courts
with the youth in the ward along with a couple inv´s and Benja. I”m
getting pretty good at soccer. Our bishop told me that I´m the best
gringo he´s seen play soccer. I thought he was kidding but he was
serious. Which reminds me... My shoes are falling apart and I need
something better to use in soccer...

We helped out Hermana Yeny our ropa lady. I sent a pic with her
grandson so you guys could see her. She had a little shade thing hung
from the wall to her house that was falling down that I ended up
fixing alone while my comp played soccer with her other grandson. My
comp is a little lazy when it comes to service. Our neighbor is a
little older and her little white fence during our crazy weather fell
over. She asked us to fix it and my comp tried to contact her about
teaching her. She said that she wasn´t going to change her beliefs. He
later told me he wasn´t going to serve anyone that wouldn´t get
baptized. I thought that was a little wierd. Our neighbor glares at
him when we walk by and then she says hola mi amor when I walk by. Or
something like that. It is really funny.

Chile played on Saturday against Venezuela and we have found out it is
worthless to try and contact or teach during that hour. We ended up
going to Benjamin”s to fill out his registro. I ended up learning how to
make Empanadas and Sopaipillas while watching a little bit of the game
with Benjamin and his mom. People are absolutely crazy about soccer
down here. It´s insane. Let´s just hope Chile doesn´t lose. I´m afraid
of what might happen.

Cristobal and his little brother kept saying bad swear words in
English... I finally had a great Idea. I asked them if they wanted to
learn the worst swear word in English. I told them they couldn´t say
it in front of their parents or anyone cuz it was super bad. I told
them in a whispered voice baptize me! They ended up walking around all
day saying baptize me! It was really funny and my comp just about died
laughing.

I needed to buy a couple things this last week because it has been so
cold. I bought three long sleeve shirts and a couple pairs of socks,
and a couple more scarves. (I couldn´t remember the word for bufanda
in English) My English is getting horrible.

I´m working on the letters. I´m horrible at writing them. Tell Colt
thanks for the letter and also Megan. It was nice to hear from them.
Also tell Chris thanks for his letter. It finally came through.

Well not much else this week. Thank you all for the prayers and
support. Tell Traci I will be fasting and praying for her. Tell her I
used her story of how we fasted and prayed for her in my talk about
fasting. Tell her stay positive and pray. Well I love you guys!
Elder Torgersen

No comments:

Post a Comment