Monday, December 12, 2011

Weekly letter


Hola Family,
How is everyone? How is the weather up there? Snow yet? We are starting to get into summer and it has been completely blazing hot here. I´m definitely missing snow. It doesn´t seem like its December. It doesn´t seem like Christmas yet. It´s really weird not having snow, and having it be so hot.

Well, today we just moved houses. There are 2 sectors in Linares and the house we were living in was more on our side and the other elders were complaining about having to ride their bikes to their sector and back everyday. They ended up renting a house in their sector that was worse than the house we were living in now. We found a newer, cheaper and better house a couple weeks ago and today we moved everything in. We were supposed to be having 2 more elders in our house and sector but they said that will happen next Cambio. So this month me and Elder Teske will have a big house to ourselves. It will be really nice not having to deal with other elders sitting in your study room with a bowl of cereal or something making a mess on my stuff. I found the other elders, multiple times, in our study room either making a mess or eating my food/candy.

Well, this week I had my first mix up of words. A family asked me what food i liked here in Chile and I said I liked the Fruit. They asked me what kind of fruit and I told Them ¨durazno, frutilla, and cerveza. What I said was peaches, strawberries and Beer. What i had tried to say was Cherries. The family gave me a weird look and then busted up laughing. I then realized what i had said. It was hilarious.

I´m really starting to love Chile. They have a lot of weird things but they also have a lot of really cool things here. My companion and I ride around with our kickstands down on our bikes because, for some reason, Chileans freak out and yell,¨Su patita!¨ It´s really funny because they act like if you don´t put it up, It´ll catch on something and kill you. I had a truck load of people yell ¨Su patita!¨ Me and Elder Teske always bust up laughing. I guess it´s just one of those things to keep us from going insane. Another thing is, I love having little stores on like every corner. They usually have little glass bottled sodas for like 25 cents at these stores. The people are really nice and always invite us in for juice or a soda even if they don´t want to hear our message. One thing I´ve learned is they love the Simpson´s and pretty much anything American. We have an investigator that loves movies and always asks us what we liked to watch before our mission. He has a really Nice TV/Computer/sound System For a small house In Chile. He plugs his computer into his TV and watches movies a lot. The other day he and his wife were watching Transformers and they saw the white Military Guy and they were like,¨Hey, that looks like Elder Torgersen.¨ I have been called Justin Bieber and now the military guy from Transformers. I don´t think there has been a day without being called Justin Bieber. 

We have 4-5 really good investigators right now. One of them Is Jose. He is the Chilean Cop that acts like a little kid when we come to teach him. He always runs up the stairs and tells us to wait to get his Book of Mormon. We had a Noche De Hogar with them on Sunday night and made Brownies (Chilean style.) He loved it. The wife is a member and her daughter was there and she had a little girl there that absolutely loved me. She was the cutest little girl. They also have a grandma living with them and she´s a tad bit crazy. One time while we were there she pinched my cheeks just like a Grandma does. It was really weird. José is a stud though. He is so excited to get baptized. He will probably be my first baptism. 

Earlier last week I had to go on a Mini Cambio with the Latin companion in our house. The one they had been having trouble with. He drives me nuts in the house so I wasn´t very excited to work with him. It ended up helping my Spanish and wasn´t as bad as I thought it would be. During a lesson somehow He and our Investigator started talking about movies. He started talking about a bunch of horror movies that are Rated R and asked them if they had seen them and was telling them that they needed to because they were awesome. After the lesson I asked what the crap he was doing and  I basically got after him and told him We were here to teach people about Christ AS representatives of him and he´s asking if they´ve seen some stupid Horror movie. The stuff he does sometimes just blows my mind. 

I´m glad that Dad still calls my name when he needs help for something. Maybe you guys will start to realize how much you relied on me to stuff. I´m surprised you guys figured out the boat. Also I ´m glad Ainsley is praying that I speak the RIGHT Language. For a time there I thought I was speaking Japanese. I`m glad IMO speaking the right language now. This Sunday I realized the Chilean ward was a lot like New Harmony. There´s a lot of old people and only four young men. 2 Priests and 2 Deacons. We had a kid that is my age get called as the Young Men's President. He is currently working on mission papers. I talked to him on Sunday and he said he had to go get his mission physical. He wasn´t too excited ha ha.

I´m not sure about Skype yet. I don´t know what time or even where right now. I´ll let you guys know next week. I finally got 2 packages though. You said you sent 4? I got the 2 Christmas packages. Did you send the package of ties? It would be nice to have a better bike. The only thing I´m worried about is trying to get it from cambio to cambio. Our new house does have a stove so stuff like cake mixes and brownie mixes would be awesome. I feel bad for how much it costs to send stuff down here but some of this stuff I kinda need.  I´ve been too scared to spend any of my money. I guess I need to get over that since both Mom and Dad keep asking why I haven´t used any of it. I might use some later today for a New pillow and a few cleaning supplies. The pillow I have is a piece. It has lost most of the cotton. The president said there isn´t really a rule against spending my own money. Most of the stuff is reimbursable. Cleaning supplies will be so any of the money I have spent from my own account is being reimbursed. If you could get me some DVD´s and an Ipod it would be great. Also the razor I said. The Remington R5150. I don´t want to buy one down here and then not be able to use it anywhere else like home. Does Ethan or Dad have anything they want for Christmas. At this point a package won’t show up until after but I wanna get something for them. Any ideas?

Well I love you guys and hope everything is well. I pray for you guys daily. I miss you all!

Con Amor, 
Elder Torgersen

¨Despues de todo que Jesús hizo para nosotros, El dar el máximo es el mínimo que podemos hacer.¨

No comments:

Post a Comment